So, you've decided to make Gurgaon your home sweet home, Congratulations! But did you know that Gurgaon is considered as one of the most expensive cities in terms of living? So, if you want to know how to live in Gurgaon on a budget, you're in the right place.
Gurgaon, also known as Gurugram, is a bustling IT city with a growing reputation for opportunities and lifestyle. But, it can get expensive. Don't worry, in this blog, we'll guide you about how you can live in Gurgaon on a budget without compromising your quality of life.
First, let's get to know Gurgaon a bit better. This city, located just southwest of Delhi, is a major hub for businesses, IT companies, and multinational corporations. It's known for its modern infrastructure, skyscrapers, and a vibrant urban culture. While Gurgaon offers endless possibilities, it's crucial to manage your expenses smartly to make the most of your time here.
Cost of Living in Gurgaon
Well, the cost of living in Gurgaon can vary significantly depending on your lifestyle choices. As a rule of thumb, it's higher than smaller cities in India, but it's also a place where you can earn more. The major components that contribute to the cost of living in Gurgaon include housing, transportation, food, healthcare, and entertainment.
What are the Factors that Affect the Cost of Living in Gurgaon?
Now, let's discuss the major factors that directly affect the cost of living in Gurgaon.
1. Housing: In terms of housing, Gurgaon can be expensive, especially in some particular areas. Rental prices can be steep in Gurgaon, specifically in popular neighborhoods like DLF Cyber City and Golf Course Road. The type and location of your accommodation play a crucial role in determining your overall cost of living in Gurgaon.
2. Transportation: Gurgaon offers a well-connected public transportation system, including the Delhi Metro, Rapid Rail Metro, city buses, and private cabs as well. However, owning a vehicle may add to your monthly expenses with EMI, fuel, maintenance, and parking costs.
3. Food: Gurgaon caters to a diverse palate, offering a range of dining options from street food to luxury fine dining. If you are eating out frequently, it can inflate your food expenses.
4. Healthcare: While Gurgaon holds world-class healthcare facilities like Medanta and Paras, medical expenses can be high if you don't have health insurance.
5. Entertainment: The city has a lively social scene with numerous malls, theaters, and recreational activities. It's easy to overspend if you're not careful.
Tips to Reduce the Cost of Living in Gurgaon
Now, let's get to the good part - how to reduce the cost of living in Gurgaon effectively.
1. Find Affordable Housing: You can save a lot if you find affordable accommodation in Gurgaon. You can consider living in areas slightly away from the city center to save on rent. Moreover, sharing an apartment with roommates is also a great way to split costs.
2. Use Public Transportation: You can utilize the Delhi Metro, Rapid Rail, or local buses to commute. It's not only cost-effective but also eco-friendly.
3. Cook at Home: While dining out is tempting, cooking at home can save you a significant amount. Instead of big supermarkets, consider shopping at local markets for fresh and affordable ingredients. In this way, you can reduce your living expenses and support local shops as well.
4. Health Insurance: A health emergency can happen anytime, it would be best if you prepare for the worst. So if you are living in Gurgaon, invest in a good health insurance plan to cover medical expenses. It's a smart move for your long-term financial well-being.
5. Entertainment on a Budget: Look for free or low-cost entertainment options. Enjoy parks, explore cultural events, and make use of happy hour deals at restaurants.
Tips to Reduce Additional Monthly Expenses in Gurgaon
Now that you've trimmed down your major expenses, let's explore those little monthly costs that can add up if you're not careful.
1. Cut Down on Energy Consumption: The electricity rate in Gurgaon is quite high, so be mindful of your electricity and water usage. Switch to LED bulbs and unplug devices when not in use.
2. Cancel Unused Subscriptions: Review your monthly subscriptions for streaming services, magazines, or gym memberships. We would suggest you cancel those subscriptions you no longer use.
3. Plan Your Groceries: We often overspend on the shopping when we are in shopping markets. So to avoid impulsive purchases, make a shopping list before hitting the supermarket.
4. DIY Repairs: Learn some basic DIY skills to handle minor household repairs and maintenance. This way, you can reduce the need for professional help.
5. Carpool or Ride-Share: If you own a vehicle, consider carpooling or ride-sharing with colleagues or neighbors to split fuel costs.
Top 5 Affordable Places to Live in Gurgaon
1. Sector 56: Known for its greenery and peaceful atmosphere, Sector 56 offers affordable housing options without compromising on amenities.
2. Sector 23: This area is well-connected and has a range of budget-friendly apartments and houses for rent.
3. Sector 14: It's close to the HUDA City Centre Metro Station, making it convenient for commuters. Rental options here are reasonably priced.
4. Sohna Road: While it's a bit further from the city center, Sohna Road has seen rapid development, offering affordable housing options and good connectivity.
5. Sector 45: This residential area is budget-friendly and has a mix of apartments and independent houses.
So, here you have the guide to living in Gurgaon on a budget. With the right mindset and some smart financial choices, you can make the most of this IT city without compromising your wallet.
Moreover, if you are planning to move to Gurgaon and need the top packers and movers in Gurgaon, simply contact Om International Packers and Movers. We are one of the best packers and movers in Gurgaon that can make your relocation stress-free.
Happy budgeting, and enjoy your time in the city!